Sunday 12 August 2012

An Ode to EMS

~Class photo with the school sign board~

When I came to Islamabad, the school I got admission in was EMS High School which is located in the F10 and F11 districts of the Capital. Before THAT I went to AIMS which is a pretty religious type of school They offer to make your child a hafiz and even if you don't want to be a hafiz, you still have to take after-school classes till six on fixing your Nazra or recitation. I kind of liked the buildings a bit since it was really big, but then I decided to go check out the bathroom (how typical of me) and I was really shocked. Again. Just those traditional flushes and even those weren't exactly the best. And so I made a flat out no and rejected that school. I mean, if you're supposed to stay in school from eight in the morning to six in the afternoon, then please, provide facilities that we can actually use!

When I walked into EMS, I didn't really know what to think. It was kind of small, much smaller than Generation's School, which is super huge in North Nazimabad, Karachi. The administration also asked me to take a an admission test. This admission test, which was three hours long, was something to remember. It was the first time I ever gave a paper like that and I was totally shocked. Flipping page after page after page and finding thirty six pages in total caused me to panic and do everything in a rush to get out of there.

~Enters exam room with optimistic attitude~

~Leaves examination room with a 'that didn't go so well....'~

And I got what I deserved I guess, failing in Mathematics, even though I was average in it.

School for me started after summer whereas the term begins a month before summer, which surprised me and didn't seem to make much sense to me. That is, the final term exams are usually in March or May and last about two weeks and then the new year starts in June. THEN you get your summer break. Meaning I missed out a whole month of studying. (Not that I was sad about it or anything. I mean, I was actually kind of happy)

From fragmented memories, I recall it was raining the first day and all the girls were inside. I got introduced and I dimly recall that Mossi was the one who talked to me first. I was seated with another new girl and although I tried to get along, it didn't really work out when she kept following me to an extent that I started trying to throw her off. =___=

That was class eight. Lots of things happened which included the PakTurk Maths Olympiad in which I came 18th and won Rs500. Then the unpleasant calculator incident and the Khewra mines fieldtrip. The perpetual wars with the guys of O2 to get a chance to play ball on the ground were also memorable. Whenever we got to play, I used to just be the defender on one side and chat the whole game with the goalie who was usually Maryam, and the other defender, Laiba. Everytime the ball came this way, Maryam would kick it and it would go soaring over the whole ground and straight back towards the opposing goal. And then we'd start chatting again. In the heat of the game, Laiba or Asifa would throw in a kick and her shoe would go flying in the other direction.

Then came the start of our O Level with the boys joining our class too. We also had to say farewell to some of our slassmates who were off to do matriculation which wasn't being provided from our school that year. The teachers were mostly new, being the O Level staff and they tried getting us to study and do well, constantly pushing and reminding us, scolding and attempting to get us serious.

But there were really good memories too, like the science exhibition, the farewell, the field trips and everything, even the fights for a once-a-year chance to have a sports class. Even when we had an election in our school and our class, which is the senior most, didn't get to put up candidates for head girl or head boy, Mahnoor pooled in the idea of having our own election, just to see who would get the most votes. Well, obviously most votes were directed at abusing the candidate running for headgirl. Others were most gracefully casted several times in the caster's own name. But the day was carried away by a single boy who got seventeen votes as compared to the highest of five or six (most of which the dude casted himself). And this guy was running for Principal. So he sort of got scolded by our homeroom teacher for indirectly challenging school authority and had to change the Principal to Vice-principal.(Not that he got it)

But in the end I would like to say that these years have definitely been memorable, whether it was something silly, or funny or stupid or aggravating. I just hope that we ALL cherish these memories and maybe, ten years later, meet up and laugh it off, lawl.



~Definitely memories to remember.... (^.^)/) ~

~Reminiscing~
~Rikudo~

No comments:

Post a Comment